Freshen your dog’s breath with these homemade dog treats. It’s easy, healthy and cheap. It’s a win-win! I’m all about homemade dog treats. It’s quick, easy, and you know exactly what’s going into your pup’s treats. But if these treats also double as a breath mint, I am all in.
Now these treats have a pumpkin-apple base. Pumpkin is a nutrition powerhouse, loaded with fiber, and it’s good for both constipation and diarrhea. Apples are loaded with fiber, vitamins A and C, omega-3 and -6, antioxidants, flavonoids and polyphenols.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- 1 apple, grated
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky. Add apple, mint and parsley, beating just until incorporated.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.